Here’s a list of Educational news articles that have caught my attention in the last week.
NOTE: These aren’t put together but some automated process, but I have actually read each article and found it interesting for the reasons listed next to each link. There should be a little of something for everyone.
But first. Here is a bit of inspiration to get your week going.
1. A teachers struggles with a lack of autonomy in her classroom. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/teachers/teacher-maybe-it-is-time-for-m.html
2. Does anyone else think this is ironic? Not enough Australian history taught in new national curriculm http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/national-curriculum-declares-history-unaustralian-20120709-21rua.html
By the way: For Australian teachers…who actually believes the government when they say there will be a national curriculum by 2014? Not me! [And with good reason I might add...]
3. Study finds iPads are a beneficial tool http://www.emergingedtech.com/2012/07/study-finds-benefits-in-use-of-ipad-as-educational-tool/ one of the findings…The quality and standard of pupil work and progress is rising.
4. More than 5,000 teachers are taking unprecedented professional development opportunities over the summer in a district-wide initiative to boost student achievement in the upcoming school year. One of the reasons given - “The expectations of our students have increased, so the demands on our teachers have increased,” At the risk of sounding cynical; The fact that the expectations of the students had risen left me wondering… http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jul/26/professional-development-puts-teachers-summer-scho/
5. It would appear that they have the same problems in Africa as we do in Australia… http://allafrica.com/stories/201207270045.html
6. A classic case that shows you can make the numbers say whatever you want… http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jul/27/greg-johnson-scores-show-many-teachers-arent/
7. A school in Mumbai is using pet therapy with their students. http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Mumbai/Mumbai-schools-call-in-pets-to-tackle-student-problems/Article1-900544.aspx
8. An interesting discussion about hiring amateur teachers in the UK…Is this where NSW is heading with it’s local schools local decisions policy? http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/27/unqualified-teachers-unqualified-doctor
9. Yet another panel is formed to discuss how to best measure teachers performance. http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/state/teacher-effectiveness-focus-of-new-kentucky-panel/article_7a1399e3-78ed-52f6-9feb-8eb28cf12309.html
10. Class sizes set to rise in Iowa. http://thegazette.com/2012/07/27/iowa-task-force-studies-ways-to-boost-pay-leadership-roles-for-teachers/
11. A case for teaching teachers about neuroscience. I love neuroscience and Judy Willis is one of the best when it comes to education…http://www.edutopia.org/blog/neuroscience-higher-ed-judy-willis